Old Wooden Chest With A False Bottom Exposes An Ancestor’s Curious Past
Original Photograph by Time & Life Pictures Colorized by zuzahin on Reddit | Website | Colorizedhistory on Facebook
Below you will find a collection of some of the highest rated colorized images to date on r/ColorizedHistory.
15. British troops cheerfully board their train for the first stage of their trip to the western front – England, September 20, 1939
I’ve also provide a list of some of the top contributors (in no particular order):
Original Photograph by Frank Worth Photo | Prints available Colorized by malakon on Reddit
53. President Lincoln with Major General McClernand and Allan Pinkerton at Antietam in 1862.
8. Albert Einstein, Summer 1939 Nassau Point, Long Island, NY
Colorized by Sanna Dullaway | forrifarg.se | Facebook | Prints available
When we see old photos in black and white, we sometimes forget that life back then was experienced in the same vibrant colours that surround us today. This gallery of talented artists helps us remember that 🙂
Categories: ART, BEST OF, HISTORY, LISTS, STORIES Tags: · black and white, colorized, photoshop, portraits
Original Photograph by Toni Frissell Colorized by HansLucifer | valdigtmycketfarg.wordpress.com
Original Photograph by Dorothea Lange Colorized by Jordan J. Lloyd (photojacker on Reddit) | Photo Chopshop on Facebook
Sign up for our daily email and receive the Sifter’s newest posts!
Simple Biology Experiment Helps A Girl Uncover Her Family’s Dark Past
“I was told he had come back from playing and found his house a shambles—his mother, father and brother dead under the rubble…he was looking up at the sky, his face an expression of both confusion and defiance. The defiance made him look like a young Winston Churchill. This photograph was used by IBM to publicize a show in London. The boy grew up to become a truck driver after the war, and walking past the IBM offices, he recognized his picture.” – Toni Frissell
One of the greatest facets of reddit are the thriving subreddits, niche communities of people who share a passion for a specific topic. One of the Sifter’s personal favourites is r/ColorizedHistory. The major contributors are a mix of professional and amateur colorizers that bring historic photos to life through color. All of them are highly skilled digital artists that use a combination of historical reference material and a natural eye for colour.
34. A Washington, D.C. filling station in 1924. Patty Allison
Colorized by Jordan J. Lloyd (photojacker on Reddit) | Photo Chopshop on Facebook
Weirdly Hilarious Photos Of Actors Filming Huge Movies Before CGI Came To Their Rescue
22 Common Survival Myths That Are Way More Hazardous Than Helpful
Original Photograph by Bob Willoughby | Prints available Colorized by traquea on Reddit
‘Radioactive’ Boy Scout’s Wild Science Experiment Forced 40,000 People To Evacuate Their Homes
4. View from Capitol in Nashville, Tennessee During the Civil War, 1864
CULTURE These 53 Colorized Photos From The Past Will Blow You Away. Especially The One Of Albert Einstein.
Original Photograph by John Vachon | Prints available @ Shorpy.com Colorized by Jordan J. Lloyd (photojacker on Reddit) | Photo Chopshop on Facebook
40. 1920s Australian mugshots from the New South Wales Police Dept.
Dog Is Abandoned By Her Owners Outside An Airport With The Most Dreadful Excuse
11. Joseph Goebbels scowling at photographer Alfred Eisenstaedt after finding out he’s Jewish, 1933
4. Lou Gehrig, July 4, 1939. Photo taken right after his famous retirement speech. He would pass away just two years later from ALS.
7. Big Jay McNeely driving the crowd at the Olympic Auditorium into a frenzy, Los Angeles, 1953
13. W.H. Murphy and his associate demonstrating their bulletproof vest on October 13, 1923
Colorized by zuzahin on Reddit | Website | Colorizedhistory on Facebook
If You’ve Never Seen How Fast Bears Can Climb Trees You Need to See This
11 Of The Most Common Lies That Teachers Tell Students Even Though They’re Not Remotely True
Colorize Photos Use Deep Learning to Automatically Colorize Black and White Photos
42. Brothers Robert Kennedy, Edward “Ted” Kennedy, and John F. Kennedy outside the Oval Office.
Original Photograph by John Vachon Colorized by Jordan J. Lloyd (photojacker on Reddit) | Photo Chopshop on Facebook
Original Photograph by National Photo Company Colorized by zuzahin on Reddit | Website | Colorizedhistory on Facebook
Take a trip back in time through these photos below. It’s quite incredible to see Abraham Lincoln and Albert Einstein in living color.
49. An RAF pilot getting a haircut while reading a book between missions.
2. Brigadier General and actor Jimmy Stewart. Stewart flew 20 combat missions over Nazi-occupied Europe, and even flew one mission during Vietnam.
Up until the 1970s, color photography was extremely rare, and so when we think about history prior to that time, we often envision it in black and white. Today’s technology now enables us to “colorize” historical photos, giving us our only chance at seeing what the world really looked like back then. And it was truly spectacular.
47. Nazi Minister of Propaganda Joseph Goebbels scowls at a Jewish photographer, 1933.
37. Louis Armstrong plays to his wife, Lucille, in Cairo, Egypt 1961. Jordan J. Lloyd
Original Photograph by Napoleon Sarony Colorized by Dana Keller | History in Color on Facebook
6. Lee Harvey Oswald, 1963, being transported to questioning before his murder trial for the assassination of President John F. Kennedy.
Seeing these photos in color for the first time makes it easy to imagine we could all have been part of a world that we’ve never even seen. It literally changes our perspective of history.
Babies And Dogs Meeting For The First Time Didn’t Really Go As Their Parents Hoped
– zuzahin aka Mads Madsen [website, facebook] – mygrapefruit aka Sanna Dullaway [website, facebook] – klassixx aka Dana Keller [facebook page] – photojacker aka Jordan J. Lloyd [facebook page] – HansLucifer [website] – BenAfleckIsAnOkActor – malakon – Edvos aka Paul Edwards – traquea